Fire broke out in a house at 1709 Wilcox Boulevard shortly before 7 a.m. on Friday.
The cause of the fire appears to be related to a domestic dispute. Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said a husband and wife lived in the house, but they had no electricity, so they used an oil lamp for light. Lt. McElvain said the couple got into an argument Friday morning and in the process, knocked over the oil lamp, which started the fire. They escaped the fire without injury.
The Chattanooga Fire Department responded with several fire companies. Battalion Chief Rick Sewell said the residents were already safely out of the home when the first firefighters arrived. Chief Sewell said the firefighters quickly made their way inside the structure and managed to contain the fire damage to the front of the house. The rest of the home sustained some smoke and water damage.
The dollar loss to the house and personal property was estimated at $25,000.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the victims.